Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Survey 2010


One of my favorite bloggers does this survey each year.  I'm doing it this year because I thought it would be a nice way to reflect on 2010, which flew by!  
New Year's Survey 2010
1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Learned to operate a riding lawn mower, a snowblower, and a sewing machine.  I aced two college courses nine years after graduating from Michigan State.  But I'm most proud of learning to drive a stick.  I heard only 1 in 16 Americans knows how.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Never been one to make resolutions, but maybe this year is a good time to start.  I'll aim for yoga consistency, 3 times per week.  It just does such good for me.  And straight A's in school.  It's so different to be a student at this age.  WAY more fun.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Yes!  Baby Kate arrived in August, the daughter of one of my old neighbor boys.  He was my first kiss.  I was in elementary school and was imitating what I saw on my mom's soap operas.  Sometimes I can't believe we're old enough to be parents.  Baby Savannah arrived in September.  She's the daughter of dear friends we were stationed with in ND.  Both girls look a lot like their daddies!
4. Did anyone close to you die?

My mom's cousin.  We weren't exactly close to him, but the loss adds to the tragic road their mother (my I-think-98-year-old great aunt) has endured.  Lost the first of her five kids to a drunk driver when he was a teenager.  Lost her husband to cancer in the late 70's.  Lost another son four years ago due to complications following a brain injury that occurred when he fell down the stairs.  Lost another son to cancer a year and a half ago.  Lost her last son this fall after he collapsed for unexplained reasons and went into a coma (Heart? Brain?  We'll never know).  Only her daughter remains.  I marvel at the strength of this family, my great aunt, my second cousins, and I can't help but wonder why they've been tasked with such a heavy load.  I admire how gracefully they've handled it all.  
5. What countries did you visit?
No foreign countries, but saw much of this country!  Hit the open road when we moved from North Dakota to Texas (just for the summer).  Visits to OK City, Dallas, Houston, and Altus, OK.  Packed up in the fall and road tripped to our new home in Dover, DE with pit stops in Michigan and Ohio to see family.  Total miles logged?  Thousands, I don't really know.  But books on tape were my savior!
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
Patience!  This year's extended state of domestic limbo did a number on my nerves! And bullying secondary education institutions into accepting old college credits is exhausting!  More so when it doesn't go your way.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January, when I decided to go back to school for nursing.  June, when I moved away from dear friends and neighbors in ND.  I went kicking and screaming to that state.  Who knew I'd end up loving the experience and the people?  July 30th, my golden birthday!  Scott threw me a fabulous surprise party to ring in a new decade of my life.  Thanksgiving, when both of our families traveled to our new home.  Nothing cures the chaos of holidays like the sound of laughter from crazy games of Uno!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Working full time while going back to school.  I accomplish so much more when I'm busy . . . like straight A's!
9. What was your biggest failure?
Blogging consistently!  Working on that.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not really.  But this reoccurring ankle soreness when I try to run is driving me nuts.  I'm only 30.  Am I really going to be stuck with low impact cardio the rest of my life?  Lame.  Probably need to think about seeing a doctor for it.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The Acura TL.  Forced me to finally learn to drive a stick.  And my Calvin Klein underwear. How does that man know women's bodies so well?  
12. Where did most of your money go?
School.  College is expensive!
13. What did you get really excited about?
A career change that would work with our mobile Air Force lifestyle.  An aggressive course of action for starting a family, cause I'm tired of waiting.  Decorating a new home and sharing it with family (see this, this, and this).
14. What song will always remind you of 2010?
If I Die Young by the Band Perry.  I know it sounds morbid, but it makes me remember that life is short and I should talk less and do more, no matter how scary things seem (like changing careers).  Also, F**k You by Cee Lo Green (or the kid friendly version Forget You).  Makes me laugh and I can't sit still when I hear that song.  Have to shake my tail feather!
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:

– happier or sadder? Happier.
– thinner or fatter? Thinner.  Stress does wonders for my figure.
– richer or poorer? Poorer.  No job for me and school starts full time this month.  School = bills!
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Motorcycle riding.  Texas was too damn hot for long rides!
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Complaining.  Mostly it was about frustrations over starting a family.  Truth is, I got tired of hearing myself talk about it.  I can only imagine how awkward it got for others to hear.  Besides, there's always someone worse off than you, right?  Get over it and get happy (at least that's what I try to do).  
18. How did you spend Christmas?
Just the two of us.  In our PJs.  All day long.  Perfect!
19. What was your favorite TV program?
GLEE!!!!
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Didn't read as much as I would have liked.  But got into historical fiction and loved Nefertiti by Michelle Moran.
21. What was your favorite music from this year?

I'm not a music junkie.  I just love songs I can shake my bootie to.  Although, I reconnected with Joan Jett this summer and I crank her up when I'm cleaning the house.
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
Despicable Me.  Funny.  I know I saw some good ones this year, but that's the only one that really sticks out.  Movies seem to be pretty predictable nowadays, but still enjoyable.  Oh!  The Last Airbender and Inception were pretty great.  Can't wait to see Black Swan!  Missed Social Network, but looking forward to that too.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
A keg stand!  I turned 30 on July 30th.  Golden.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Getting pregnant.  Two and a half years is a long time to wait.  Whew!  But we're hanging in there.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Damn sexy!  Ha.  Kidding.  I would say I've always been modernly classic in terms of wardrobe.  But this year I tried to funk things up a lil' bit.  Mostly with accessories and layering.  Mission accomplished when an old friend noticed the changes and complimented me on them.  
26. What kept you sane?
Cheesy as it sounds, my hubby.  His sarcastic, and often childish, humor cures any ailment!  So lucky.
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
The only constant is my life is change.  I knew this already (as my blog is named for it and kinda base on that theory) but it was so evident this year.  Sorta became my mantra and helped me be more patient and enjoy the process and the growth that comes from change.  

No comments:

Post a Comment