Thursday, January 6, 2011

Prep and Recovery

Didn't get around to blogging yesterday because I was taking down Christmas decorations, cleaning, and cooking.  It was all in preparation for my surgery today so that I could relax on a dog-hair-free couch and watch movies all afternoon before reheating leftovers for dinner.  I believe I'm coherent, but if I start to wander in this post I'm sorry.  The drugs were really good.

I've been thinking about approaching my blog posts a little differently and this seems like the perfect opportunity.  I call this blog Transient Xpress because of our transient, fast-paced Air Force lifestyle that is full of unknowns, or x factors.  Not only do I wish to share the lastest happenings with you, but we often find the greatest joys, disappointments, and laughter in how we handle these x-factors.  And that's the stuff of life, right?  I want to highlight those factors more often.  Point in case: today's surgery.

Hysteroscopy:  code for fixin' girly stuff.  In my case, removing polyps.  Men, (or anyone, really) I advise you not to click on the link if you don't want the gory details.  You're welcome.   The purpose of having this surgery is to try to create an obstacle-free environment for an embryo to attach to and grow in once we do IVF.  There's your science lesson for today, people.  Moving on.

X Factors:
1. I was completely knocked out with general anesthesia.  Bad for the part of me that likes to be in control.  Good for the part of me who likes to have fun.

2. Because of the anesthesia I was required to have a chaperone with me to drive me home and wait on me hand and foot while I rested post-op (well, maybe not the waiting part).  Scott, of course.  Problem is he's working nights right now for this big inspection they're having at work.  Not sure he'd be the safer choice between the two of us for operating heavy machinery in his sleep-deprived state.

So, x factors on the brain, I was a little nervous at first.  Fortunately I had the greatest nurses caring for me.  Further reason I'm convinced it's the profession for me.  I donned my beautiful gown, slippers, and cap.  When asked if my wedding band could be removed I shrugged and said, "sure.  I don't care."  The other option was to have them tape it up to keep things sterile in the OR.  Scott snorted at my side and pouted, "you sure took that off quickly."  Always the comic relief.  But really, what if there was a cute doctor walking around?  Keeping my options open, right?  Kidding!  I gave him my ring and proceeded to ball my hand into a fist, pumping up my veins for the nurse to start my IV drip.  She asked if I was in the medical profession.  Ha!  Got 'em fooled already.  I did enjoy some conversation with her and two other nurses about my schooling and what areas of nursing I might be interested in.  They guessed pediatrics, anesthesia, and surgical nursing.  I'm leaning away from pediatrics, but everything else sounded cool.  Time will tell.

So, while we waited for the doctor Scott pulled out his phone for us to play Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune.  I kept telling him to go to the car and sleep.  He came home around 6:45 this morning and slept until 8:15 when we had to leave for the hour drive to my surgery.  He slept some on the car ride, but nothing substantial.  Could we screw with his circadian rhythm any more?  At least he could sleep in the car while I was in surgery and they'd call him when I was done.  Such a trooper.  And the fact that he knew I needed a distraction like a game while waiting exemplifies his concern and care for others.  He's my guy!  We won $30,900 in Wheel of Fortune just as my nurse anesthetist, Anne, arrived for pre-op questions.  She asked if I'd split my Wheel of Fortune winnings with her.  I said only if the drugs were good.  They were.  Too bad my game winnings weren't real.

She said my doctor would be with us shortly.  A few minutes later, Scott asked, "where's Dr. Kevorkian, already?"  Whaaaaaaat!  Wait.  Did someone give him my drugs by accident?  Poor, sleep-deprived Scott.  A minute later Dr. Kovalevsky arrived to ask if we had questions.  Let me digress for a minute.

Dr. K has been a dream to work with.  This man understands our need for as much information as possible and is happy to educate us.  We never feel rushed.  We never feel pushed.  He communicates pros, cons, and options so flawlessly that I never have questions when he asks for them.  Best of all, he always looks us square in the eye and speaks calmly and slowly.  You know that he is completely present with each patient he consults.  It gives me such confidence in his care and our ability to make decisions that we feel are right for us.  Today was no exception.

As I layed on the operating table after leaving Scott I felt very comforted by Dr. K's paternal touch (though he's maybe only 15 years older than us) and Anne's sarcastic humor.  She warned me to be ready to pay up.  Then the drugs kicked in.  Whoa mama!  She was right.  I remember saying, "there they are!"  Dr. K. asked how I felt.  I said dizzy and heavy.  Next thing I knew I was being woken up by nurse Stacy in the recovery room.  I asked if Anne was around so I could pay up and explained our inside joke to her.  All of a sudden Scott answered from my other side, "we know.  You've told us three times."  Uuuhhh . . . yeah.  So I told him about the drugs while Stacy grabbed some water and cookies for me.  I asked Scott what other conversations we'd had, what time it was, how long had I been out, what time was my surgery finished, and what time did he join me in the recovery room.  I don't remember all the answers.  I just remember feeling like a colossal idiot.  I had NO concept of time and no recollection of the first two times I shared my not-so-funny-anymore inside joke.  That's where the control freak in me gets frustrated . . . or giggly when under the influence of good drugs.  I'm still giggling about it as I type this.  Will these drugs ever wear off?  Kidding.  I think.

The good new is Dr. Kevorkian never showed up, I feel great (though tired), polyps were successfully removed, and we were home in time for Scott to get three more hours of sleep.  He's going on only five for the day.  Poor guy.

So, one more thing checked off the list on the journey to parenthood.  Relief.  Especially since I go back to school on Monday and will be experiencing a whole new kind of stress.  But mostly I feel excitement on all fronts.

No comments:

Post a Comment