Friday, April 22, 2011

Much Needed Break

It's been five weeks since I last posted.  I can hardly believe it.  But I threw myself into school work and never looked back.  Until now.  Because it's SPRING BREAK!  Wahoo!  Usher in the warm weather and margaritas!

I'm thankful for the distraction school offered, but last week I saw how badly I needed a break.  We were dog sitting for my cousin and his wife.  We drove two hours to Baltimore to drop Bailey at home.  His mamma and daddy would return later that night.  I opened my purse to pull out my keys that had their house key attached and my stomach dropped.  The keys were back in Delaware.  Two hours away.  And my cousin was still in the air and couldn't be reached.  Oh. Crap.

It gets worse.  There were multiple things throughout the day that should have set off warning bells for me. The feeling that I was missing something when I packed up Bailey's bowl and toys.  The fact that I was so dead set on remembering to put gas in my car.  Scott recommended taking his car that was full of gas so we didn't have to leave earlier.  We were already running behind as it was.  "Problem solved," I thought.  Not once in these situations did I think to remember my KEYS.  Now I'd have to return to DE with Bailey (which was actually a plus because he's such a great puppy) and figure out when I could return him later in the week....OR make his poor, vacation-worn parents drive four hours round trip because of my stupid mistake.

Fortunately, things worked out.  After eating dinner on Panera's patio, where we could sit with Bailey the Beagle and give him water, we looked up my cousin's flight status.  They had landed!  And they had a spare key!  Once we retrieved it we made sure Bailey was settled in.  The day was saved!  But I definitely needed a break for my brain.  I'd been on autopilot for too long.

I can't even count on both hands how many similar incidents there have been recently, though they were much less detrimental.  Scott is pretty certain I have early onset Alzheimer's.  Feels that way sometimes.  I honestly don't remember conversations he says we've had.  Kinda scary!  So my brain gets a much needed break next week.  I will be studying daily because we come right back to finals week, but at this point it's just review, no new information.  We're packing up the motorcycle and hittin' the open road.  Off to Tennessee to ride through the Smokies.  Smokies by day, study by night.  I'm sooooo looking forward to the break.  Let's just hope the weather holds.  I'll be sure to post pics and stories of our travels here.

No comments:

Post a Comment